Sunday, February 5, 2012

Connectivism

     For this week’s blog assignment we were to post a mind map (above) and write a reflection on how our connections facilitate learning. As a student my networks are my school’s website, which includes the various resources provided by Walden University, and of course my other classmates. My educational network has changed the way I learn by making me more proactive in the learning process. I know that I have to get online, research what is needed and process the information. There are various ways that I use the internet in my learning: Web 2.0, Web 3.0, blogs, social networking sites, Wikis and so on.
     I enjoy reading the blogs by instructional designers and other educators. It gives me a look into their world and how they developed their techniques as designers. How they train and any tips they give can only help me in my career as an instructional designer. Videos are also great because they give me the visuals I need to put with what I have been reading.
     When I have questions during the learning process I can always use the Walden library, search the internet, ask other classmates, or the instructor of the course. Communicating with other classmates and the instructor can be done thru email or Skype. There are so many ways with today’s technology that we can connect with other people to collaborate and share ideas.
     This week we studied the learning theory of connectivism, which is based on the integration of technology, social networks and information (Siemens, 2012). George Siemens (2004) states that the principles of connectivism are:
·         Learning and knowledge rest in diversity of opinions.
·         Learning is a process of connecting specialized nodes or information sources.
·         Learning may reside in non-human appliances.
·         Capacity to know more is more critical than what is currently known.
·         Nurturing and maintaining connections is needed to facilitate continual learning.
·         Ability to see connections between fields, ideas, and concepts is a core skill.
·         Currency (accurate, up-to-date knowledge) is the intent of all connectivist learning activities.
     I believe that my personal learning network supports the principles of connectivism. I agree with the concept that learning can be connected to different information sources. Information is always changing. New ways to distribute information through technology is always being developed. Getting knowledge should be gathered from any resource available.

References
Siemens, G. (2012). (Producer).  Connectivism [Video webcast]. Laureate Education, Inc. Retrieved from http://www.courseurl.com
Siemens, G. (2004, December). Connectivism: A learning theory for the digital age. Retrieved February 5, 2012 from http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/connectivism.htm





No comments:

Post a Comment