Sunday, February 19, 2012

Fitting the Pieces Together

     When I first started this course I felt that I was more of a cognitive learner. I like my tools for learning to be arranged in an orderly manner. I like to know what the objectives are and achieve them in a structured manner. James Hartley (1998) defined some key principles of learning associated with cognitive psychology:
• Instruction should be well-organized.
• Instruction should be clearly structured.
• The perceptual features of the task are important.
• Prior knowledge is important
• Differences between individuals are important as they will affect learning.
• Cognitive feedback gives information to learners about their success or failure concerning the task at hand.
      I also felt that some of my learning style was aligned with the humanistic approach. I am a huge proponent of learning. I feel that you are never too old to learn and that with knowledge you can achieve any goal that you set and be any be anything in this life that you want to be.  Now after almost finishing the course I see that I cannot pin myself down to just one learning style.  I think I can gather knowledge by using some form of the seven theories in my learning endeavors.
      Technology plays a major role in my learning and my life. Compared to life a “brick and mortar” classroom online learning has been a godsend. It gives me time to do other things such as spending time with my family and having “me” time.  I take online courses with Walden University which entails weekly discussions and applications. I interact with the other students and if needed I can always email the professor.  I use the web to do research for various topics needed for courses. I can store any information needed for a paper in the “cloud” so that it can’t mysteriously disappear. I can interact with my fellow classmates or instructor thru email and Skype if needed.

References 

Hartley, J. (1998). Learning and Studying. A research perspective, London: Routledge. 












No comments:

Post a Comment